For the Media
All persons requesting media credentials for the 2013 Annual HIMSS Conference & Exhibition, March 3-7, 2013, in New Orleans, La., must be currently employed by and/or on assignment for a recognized news organization. In general, credentials will be presented to media that:
- Provide relevant, unbiased and current content on topics including healthcare and health information technology and information management systems.
- Have been in continuous operation for the past year or longer.
- Submit traffic/subscriber data for each publication.
HIMSS is committed to working with online journalists that reach their audience via websites or blogs and who also provide original, editorial news coverage on a regular basis.
Qualifications and Guidelines
Information for Online Media
- Editorial content must be independent of advertising/sponsorship.
- An editorial board must oversee the site and its contents.
- Advertising must be identified as such.
- If the website is sponsored, the site must have multiple sponsors. All sponsors must be identified as such.
- The site must appear on and be tracked by commercial media databases.
- Online media must provide links to their website and sample of recent articles.
Information for Bloggers
- Blogs must have been in existence for at least one year and must have covered healthcare IT or related topics within the past six months.
- Bloggers must submit traffic data and influence rank from a recognized third party measurement company (Technorati, Compete, FeedBurner, etc.).
- Bloggers must provide a link to their blog and a sample of recent blog posts published within the last six months.
Registration is limited to a maximum of three individuals per media outlet.
After submitting a request for media credentials, HIMSS may require additional information, including:
- Current masthead with your name.
- Two articles published with your byline within the last year.
- An original letter of assignment, on the organization’s letterhead, stating you have been retained to cover the 2013 Annual HIMSS Conference & Exhibition.
Individuals Who Do Not Qualify for Media Credentials
- Book authors
- Freelance writers not on assignment or employed by non-news organizations
- Noneditorial employees of news organizations (including CEOs, presidents, vice presidents, publishers, associate/assistant publishers, advertising, marketing, public relations and sales staff)
- Companies/organizations producing publications, videos and/or other items for the purpose(s) of marketing, advertising, financial analysis or public relations
- Consultants who develop, write or edit a corporate newsletter or similar publication for their own firm or another firm
- Financial analysts and consultants
Media credentials are not available to exhibitors at the conference who also want to register as a media representative. HIMSS will provide media credentials to a working journalist from a news organization who is also a member of HIMSS. However, advertising, financial analysis, marketing, public relations, publishing or sales staff members are not eligible to receive media credentials.
Broadcast Crews and Photographers
Photographers, television and video crews must obtain media credentials and notify News Room staff at least 24 hours before filming at the Conference.
All media credentials will be provided at the discretion of HIMSS13 Press Room staff members per the HIMSS13 Media Qualifications and Guidelines. We reserve the right to accept or deny credentials.
Media Credentials Pick-Up
All approved media for HIMSS13 must pick up their media credentials on-site at HIMSS13; they will not be mailed in advance of the conference.
The HIMSS Press Room will be open from
- 8 am–5 pm Sunday, March 3, through Wednesday, March 6; and
- 8 am -11 am, Thursday, March 7.
The HIMSS Press Room is located in Room 263 in the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center at 900 Convention Center Blvd., New Orleans, La. 70130.
On-Site Media Registration
Media may register using the online media registration form until Monday, February 4, 2013.After that date, media must register on-site in New Orleans. To expedite this process, please contact Joyce Lofstrom at HIMSS or Peter McCormack at SHIFT Communications.
Contact Joyce Lofstrom, Director, Corporate Communications, HIMSS, at email@example.com.